The holiday season might just be the most popular time of year, and for good reason. People get to see friends and family, share feasts, exchange gifts, and generally have a celebratory time.
To keep your holidays in Texas fun and festive, be on the lookout for the worst pests of the season. No, we are not talking about the Grinch or the spirits that visited Scrooge. We’re talking about pests, like termites, rodents, bedbugs, and more.
How Do Pests Enter Your Home in the Holidays?
In Texas, the wintertime usually means a noticeable decline in the number of pests. For example, mosquitos tend to like warmer, humid weather, so they can become dormant during the holidays. How do pests get into your home, then, if they are typically less in number in the winter?
There are three ways pests sneak into your home during the holidays:
- Christmas trees: If you celebrate Christmas by bringing a conifer into your living room, then you must be aware that little creatures might have been calling that tree their living room first! Spiders, beetles, and even small rodents and squirrels could be hiding in your Christmas tree when you first bring it into your home.
- Decorations: Boxes of decorations stored in your garage or attic are great homes for moths, cockroaches, termites, and other insects. When you start to decorate around your home, you could unknowingly carry a box full of pests out of the garage and right into your living room, where they can crawl out and spread.
- Luggage: Visiting friends and family could also be providing an express ride for pests without knowing it. Old luggage and clothes they pack before their travels could be hiding bedbugs, mites, and so forth.
How Can You Stop Holiday Pests from Showing Up Unannounced?
Being vigilant is crucial to keeping holiday pests under control and out of your house. With a little bit of foresight and planning, you may be able to entirely stop them from spoiling your festivities.
To keep pests like bugs and rodents out of your home during the holidays, remember to:
- Check all boxes and baggage: Before bringing any box or luggage into your home that might have been harboring pests into your home, give them a thorough check outside, well away from any doors or windows. Use a good flashlight to inspect them for any signs of a pest infestation.
- Clean your kitchen: After your family enjoys a large holiday feast, get to cleaning the kitchen and dining area immediately. Pests love it when food is left out for long. You can make a game of it, too, encouraging everyone to chip in for extra cookies or gifts, for example.
- Declutter after gifts: Speaking of gifts, certain pests, such as termites and silverfish, like to hide in cardboard and paper waste. When everyone is done opening presents, be sure to clean up all the stray packaging and wrapping, disposing of it in the proper recycling bin.
Clearing Out Holiday Pest Infestations, One Home at a Time
At Liberty Pest Control in Fort Worth, we think the holidays should be a relaxing, fun-filled time for friends and family. If you’ve got pests in your home that are threatening it, call us at (817) 854-2057 right away. The sooner we can start using our pest control methods, the better. With the right plan in place, our team could get your property pest-free by Thanksgiving!